Test cases for Online Shopping Application | Ecommerce Website Testing
In this article, we will see some high-level test cases for an eCommerce website. We will be covering general UI test cases, product buy-flow test cases, and product creation dashboard test cases.
General Test Cases for Ecommerce Application
- Verify that the company logo and name are clearly visible.
- Verify that the user is able to navigate through all the products across different categories.
- Verify that all the links and banners are redirecting to the correct product/category pages and none of the links are broken.
- Verify that all the information displayed – product name, category name, price, and product description is clearly visible.
- Verify that all the images – product and banner are clearly visible.
- Verify that category pages have a relevant product listed, specific to the category.
- Verify that the correct count of total products is displayed on the category pages.
- Search – Verify that on searching, all the products satisfying the search criteria are visible on the search result page.
- Search – Verify that on searching, products get displayed on the basis of their relevancy.
- Search – Verify that the count of products is correctly displayed on the search result page for a particular search term.
- Filtering – Verify that filtering functionality correctly filters products based on the filter applied.
- Filtering – Verify that filtering works correctly on category pages.
- Filtering – Verify that filtering works correctly on the search result page.
- Filtering – Verify that the correct count of total products is displayed after a filter is applied.
- Filtering – Verify that the correct count and products get displayed on applying multiple filters.
- Sorting – Verify that all the sort options work correctly. On sorting the products based on the sort option chosen.
- Sorting – Verify that sorting works correctly on the category pages.
- Sorting – Verify that sorting works correctly on the search result page.
- Sorting – Verify that sorting works correctly on the pages containing the filtered result, after applying filters.
- Sorting – Verify that the product count remains the same irrespective of the sorting option applied.
Product Buy Flow – Test cases for Ecommerce Website
- Verify that on the product page, the user can select the desired attribute of the product e.g. size, color, etc.
- Verify that the user can add to the cart one or more products.
- Verify that users can add products to the wishlist.
- Verify that the user can see the previously added products on the cart page, after signing in to the application.
- Verify that the user can successfully buy more than one products that were added to his/her cart.
- Verify that the user cannot add more than the available inventory of the product.
- Verify that the limit to the number of products a user can buy is working correctly. Also, an error message gets displayed, preventing the user from buying more than the limit.
- Verify that the delivery can be declined during checkout for the places where shipping is not available.
- Verify that the Cash on Delivery option of payment is working fine.
- Verify that the different prepaid methods of payments are working fine.
- Verify that product return functionality works correctly.
User Registration Test cases
- Verify that all the required fields – username, email, password, confirm password, etc are present on the registration page.
- Verify that on passing valid values, a user should get registered and the same should be allowed to log in to the application.
- Verify that if a user tries to register an existing username then an error message should get displayed.
- Verify that the required/mandatory fields are marked with the ‘*’ symbol.
- Verify that for a better user interface – dropdowns, radio buttons, checkboxes, etc fields are displayed wherever possible instead of just text boxes.
- Verify the page has both submit and cancel/reset buttons at the end.
- Verify that clicking submits button after entering all the required fields, submits the data to the server.
- Verify that clicking the cancel/reset button after entering all the required fields, cancels the submit request, and reset all the fields.
- Verify that if no value is passed to the mandatory fields and submit button is clicked then it leads to a validation error.
- Verify that the user can leave the optional fields blank and on clicking the submit button no validation error appears.
- Verify that whenever possible validation should take place on the client side. For example, if a user presses submit button without entering a username, and password then this validation should take place on the client side instead of sending blank entries to the server.
- Check the upper limit of the different textbox fields.
- Verify validation on the date and email fields. Only valid dates and valid email Ids should be allowed.
- Check validation on numeric fields by entering alphabets and special characters.
- Check that leading and trailing spaces are trimmed i.e. in case, the user appends space before and after a field, then the same should get trimmed before getting stored on the server.
Product Creation Test cases (For seller)
- Verify that only authorized sellers get access to product creation panels specific to the authorized categories.
- Verify that the product creation panel is working fine for single product creation.
- Verify that the product creation panel is working fine for multiple product creations.
- Verify that the maximum product creation limit for the seller is working fine, limiting the seller to creating more than the desired number of products.
- Verify panel validation for checking mandatory fields.
- Verify that duplicate product creation is restricted through the panel.
- Verify that the seller can update the information and price of existing products.
- Verify that products created by sellers get visible on the website after a certain period of time.
- Verify that updates made by the seller get visible on the website after a certain period of time.
With this, we have come to the end of this tutorial on – Ecommerce website testing. Check test cases for other applications below.