10 Best Test Management Tools For Simplified Testing
Software testing is an inevitable phase in the development process. It ensures that a product under development does not contain any errors or bugs, complies with the specified quality standards, and meets the user-specified requirements.
Well, software testing is lengthy and time-consuming. It involves test planning, test case development, test case execution, and reporting test results to stakeholders and product managers. To carry out this entire process smoothly, test management comes in handy.
Test management is an activity to plan, organize, and control all testing activities and resources required to develop high-quality, bug-free software products. Organizations primarily use a test management tool to streamline testing and deliver top-grade products to customers.
With a plethora of alternatives available for test management solutions, it can take time and effort to choose the right one. In order to assist you in selecting the finest tool, we have put together this post highlighting some of the best and most popular ones.
Besides, let us explore a brief introduction to test management, the importance of test management tools, and how to choose the best one for your organization.
What is Test Management?
It is the process of managing and overseeing the software testing process and ensuring that the available resources focus more on potential risks and critical features of an application under development. It acts as a framework for testing and development teams to work within the defined rules and guidelines and develop top-notch software products in the shortest time possible.
Furthermore, it enables the visibility and traceability of the testing process throughout the involved teams, a project manager, and stakeholders.
Here are some reasons that highlight the importance of test management:
- Produce high-quality, bug-free applications that meet end-user requirements.
- Faster time to delivery of applications.
- Enhanced team collaboration.
- Efficient management of testing resources.
- A smoother and more consistent workflow for developing projects.
The test management process takes place in two phases – Planning and Execution. The planning phase involves risk analysis, test estimation, test planning, and test organization. Execution comprises test monitoring and control, issue management, and test report and evaluation.
How to Choose the Best Test Management Tool?
While choosing a test management tool for your organization, it is essential to consider the following factors:
- User Interface (UI): The tool should have an intuitive, clean, and simple interface, making it easy for everyone on the team to use.
- Usability: This implies that the tool should be easy to learn and use, provide good user and tech support, and offer comprehensive documentation or tutorials to learn using its features.
- Integrations: The tool should be capable of integrating seamlessly with other development and testing tools you use, such as an issue tracking tool, bug tracking tool, CI/CD tool, project management tool, application lifecycle management (ALM) tool, etc.
- Features: The tool must offer the basic test management features as follows:
- Test Planning: The tool should create and record test plans, test cases, and test runs. It should align with the QA (Quality Assurance) team’s test planning requirements.
- Requirements Management: The development team should be able to specify and track requirements throughout testing.
- Test Execution: Check whether the tool supports various types of software testing, including manual, automated, unit, integration, and continuous testing.
- Reporting & Analytics: The tool should create a detailed report of test results so that you can share it with stakeholders and product managers.
- Price: Choose the tool that offers the basic feature at an affordable price.
Test Management Tools
Here are some of the top recommendations for test management tools that you must consider to streamline the software quality assurance process and reduce the manual testing effort to a great extent.
So, let us start with our list!
Tuskr is a cloud-based comprehensive test management tool with exceptional features and ease of use at affordable prices. This QA testing software solution provides everything an organization needs for testing. It is a perfect tool for QA teams, product administrators, and development teams.
The best part is that the features of Tuskr are easy to understand and use, making it beginner-friendly. You can create test runs that include test cases in projects, specific ones, or those matching complex filters. In addition, dashboards provide a way to keep track of a test case’s progress.
While the tool enables efficient testing, it also preserves role-based security. It integrates with most of your technology stack, including Microsoft Teams, Slack, Google Chat, Jira, GitHub, GitLab, and Trello.
See detailed integrations here.
- Offers a WYSIWYG editor to write and edit test cases with rich-text formatting.
- Organizes your data neatly in HTML tables.
- Supports copying and pasting of images from clipboards and files.
- Provides results for each executed test case.
- You can edit test cases in bulk, and that too, with custom fields.
- Supports locking test runs to conserve test cases’ integrity.
- The workload chart features under- and over-utilized testers.
- You can get the difference between the planned hours and the actual required hours for testing with the help of the Planned vs Actual chart.
Offers a 30-day free trial.
- Free: Free forever
- Team: $9/month/user
- Business: $12/month/user
Sign up here.
Manage all your QA needs with Practitest, an end-to-end test management tool. It comes with out-of-the-box features that help QA teams orchestrate and streamline the entire QA process. In addition, it ensures your information’s security, privacy, and reliability.
PractiTest provides a centralized place to manage all kinds of tests and monitor issues. The most admiring feature is it allows you to see test execution in real-time. Customizable dashboards and reports help you gain insights into the progress of test runs.
- The tool is extremely customizable to fit every QA team’s needs.
- Supports reusing tests, test steps, and cycles.
- Hierarchical tree filters help you organize and find everything quickly.
- Run previous tests with different configurations just by changing their parameters or permutations.
- Advanced dashboards and reports help track a project’s progress in a visual form.
Offer a 14-day free trial.
- Professional: $39/month/user
- Enterprise: $49/month/user
- Ultimate: Contact sales
- Developer: $9/month/user
Sign up here.
Comprehensive test management and QA software, TestRail, helps organizations streamline the testing processes, gain visibility in QA processes, and launch top-quality software. It helps them increase the test coverage by 50% and above.
The user interface is so intuitive that users easily create test cases and manage test runs. It supports creating and running test cases and tracking manual and automated testing results. Plus, it is an ideal tool to adopt for agile and waterfall projects.
TestRail has earned the highest ratings in the annual 2021 G2 Grid for Test Management and Software Testing.
Furthermore, you can integrate TestRail with existing tools like issue and defects trackers, DevOps pipelines, test automation frameworks, and many more.
See all integrations here.
- Easy management of test cases, plans, and runs.
- Ensures increased test coverage.
- Real-time insights into QA processes.
- Organize reusable test cases in folders.
- Link tests to requirements and defects in GitHub, Jira, GitLab, etc.
- Traceability reports enable every team member to stay on the same page and see real-time testing.
- Improved collaboration as all test activities and quality metrics are present in a centralized location.
Offers a 14-day free trial.
- Professional Cloud: $34/month/user
- Enterprise Cloud: $69/month/user
Sign up here.
Micro Focus Silk Central is an all-in-one test management tool that simplifies planning, tracking, reporting, and execution. It is a unified framework that helps organizations improve their teams’ productivity, traceability, and visibility for all kinds of software testing.
The tool provides goal- and requirements-driven test management features. It brings all test assets to a centralized location. It primarily allows users to create, set up, and execute test scripts to recreate bugs and issues in particular software.
- Silk Central’s keyword-driven testing, shared test assets, and business process testing ensure reduced overhead and achieve higher reuse.
- Reduces overall test execution time and ensures efficiency.
- The requirement-driven and risk-based testing approach helps gauge an application’s quality against your requirements.
- Provides real-time visibility into testing metrics.
- Unifies automated and manual testing to make a seamless transition between them.
- Reduces test maintenance across projects.
- Out-of-the-box integrations.
Contact sales to get detailed pricing.
Sign up here.
It is one of the most-trusted test management solutions that help QA teams carry out testing effectively without functional and compliance failures. It supports both automation and manual testing.
Moreover, Test Collab serves as a shared space to bring every team member’s work in a single place. Also, it enables you to keep all test requirements, test cases, and test runs in a central location. As a result, this eliminates the mess and hassle of searching for information in different files, folders, and spreadsheets.
Jira and Test Collab go hand-in-hand. You can create Test Collab test cases and test plans from Jira. Conversely, you can Jira issues from TestCollab and map Jira stories to Test Collab requirements.
- The automatic work assignment feature lets you delegate test plans to different groups.
- Allows you to create a workflow for each project based on its requirement with custom tags and fields.
- Dashboards and other visuals help manage and track an entire team’s workload and progress.
- Automatic time tracking and smart predictions let you know the estimated time for each test plan to execute.
- Easy collaboration between development and testing teams.
- A project management feature lets you create a to-do list for all team members, set deadlines, and assign to a specific individual.
- Supports reusing the same test cases across multiple projects.
- Free: Free forever
- Premium: $29/user/month
- Enterprise: Contact sales
Sign up here.
Xray is a native test management tool for Jira. It prioritizes infusing quality into the product under development at every software development life cycle (SDLC) stage. The development and QA teams work together and use the same naming and terminologies, allowing them to see each others’ progress clearly.
Being native to Jira, Xray allows users to manage all tests as Jira issues. Also, it links all requirements to test cases. It supports both automated and manual testing.
- Create test plans for tracking tests or planned or ad-hoc test executions.
- Run tests on different environments and combine results.
- Use Cucumber language for specifying tests.
- The REST API allows you to use a CI tool to report test results.
- Interactive charts provide you with information on the test coverage of requirements.
The pricing is based on the number of users.
- Upto 10 users: $10/year
- Upto 25 users: $1000/year
- Upto 50 users: $2000/year
- Upto 100 users: $4000/year
- Upto 250 users: $7500/year
Sign up here.
Manage your test data, suites, and scripts, whether manual or automated, seamlessly with Kualitee. It is a real-time, cloud-based test management tool that cuts off more of your load of writing test cases and delivering high-quality products.
The tool enhances collaboration between testers, developers, and project managers, making it another all-in-one solution for software testing. It allows you to create test cases or import the existing ones. The best feature is that the tool keeps track of test cases so efficiently that testers do not test the same test case again and again.
- Easy-to-use dashboards help you review your team’s workload and progress and testing trends and results.
- Supports marketing defect severity so that the development team can prioritize accordingly.
- Create test cases for manual testing and test scripts for automation testing.
- Create templates for test cases and recall them whenever required.
- Cloud: $15/month/user
- On-premises: $2920/year for 10 users
Sign up here.
TestLink is a widely used open-source test management tool that offers a range of features to support software testing activities. The tool supports creating and executing tests with a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for testers to manage test cases and associated requirements.
The tool is an ideal solution for software testing teams of all sizes. It is an effective solution for managing the entire testing process from planning to execution because of its rich feature set and intuitive interface.
- An intuitive and easy-to-use interface allows users to import and export test cases.
- Assign test cases for execution to different team members.
- Easy tracking of test results with the help of reporting and statistics.
- Dashboards help you manage users and assign them test cases.
- Being open-source, you can customize it to fit your needs.
It is a flexible tool that empowers QA teams to perform testing efficiently. The tool lets them run any test and adapts to different testing frameworks. It serves as a shared space for both manual and automated testing. Furthermore, TestGear ensures traceability and visibility between development and testing teams in the shared space.
- Get analytics on test plans, test runs, and projects, which help you reduce costs and improve software quality.
- Create and customize detailed test results reports, and share these reports with others in a PDF format.
- Supports all types of testing.
- You can track changes made to the test plan.
- Assign different roles to different team members and avoid information leaks.
Offers a 14-day free trial.
- Yearly: €444.00
- Monthly: €37.00
Sign up here.
IBM Rational Quality Manager is a web-based, comprehensive test management tool that helps teams automate and accelerate project schedules. It provides metrics reporting, enabling teams to make informed release decisions.
You can use this tool for a range of tasks, including tracking online test management, maintaining online libraries, tracking engineering and customer releases, and more.
The platform-independent tool enables teams to manage QA projects effectively, reducing the time and effort required for manual testing. With IBM Rational Quality Manager, teams can improve their testing processes, increase efficiency, and deliver high-quality software faster.
- Define test plans and edit test cases.
- Analyzes and executes tests and provides detailed reports.
- Assign test cases to different team members.
- Integrates seamlessly with other IBM products.
- Contact sales
Sign up here.
These were some of the top picks for test management tools. Test management is essential to software testing, and selecting the right tool can help organizations improve testing efficiency, quality, collaboration, and reporting.
When choosing a test management tool, it is essential to consider factors such as features, ease of use, integration, scalability, usability, and support. You can consider the above tools for your organization. They all provide basic test management features and integrate seamlessly with other tools used throughout the software development life cycle.
We hope this list has helped you choose the right tools for your organization.